Home > Norman Neasom Exhibition > Neasom. N (Watercolours) > 62 Saintbury Hill Farm

62 Saintbury Hill Farm by Paintings by Norman Neasom (1915 - 2010)

62 Saintbury Hill Farm by Paintings by Norman Neasom (1915 - 2010)

Saintbury Hill Farmhouse

Watercolour - Signed and dated 1962

Image: 360mm x 530mm - Framed: 600mm x 750mm

Saintbury Hill forms the dividing ridge between Upper and Lower Froyle and is where Saintbury Farm is situated

It was assumed that Saintbury was originally ‘Saint bury’, or the hill where the Saint Frea was buried,  the name originating from the Nuns of St Mary’s Abbey. However, in 1657 the farm was known as ‘Banburies’, and there had been a Gilbert Bennebury farming there earlier. By 1679 the farm had become Simbury Farm, and in 1760 a James Simbury acted as a witness to a lease drawn up for property in Upper Froyle

In 1841 it is just referred to as Saintbury Hill, and this included the farm cottages opposite which have been greatly extended and are today a large family house. In 1851, it was called Saintbury Hill Old Farmhouse - which might indicate it had stood there for some considerable time before the 19th Century. Modern theories suggest that the name ‘Saintbury’ is tied in with the naming of Froyle

Enquire - send an email to us